Monday, July 31, 2006

# 3. Cooking Tips

Kia Ora (Hello) Someone, (who shall remain nameless for now) mention that this blog must be feeling like the "poor sister" who didn't go to the ball as all the other blogs get updates and this one doesn't !!! Well, what can I say apart from I hate cooking and I can't cook to save myself. I can boil an egg; make toast; heat up a can of spaghetti or bake beans - in other words, I know enough to get by. Other than that I eat take-aways or invite myself around to Granny smith's for a cup of tea. Because I know when you go there - you get more than a cup of tea. You get "full" on her home cooking & baking, plus a little doggy bag to take away as well. I always ask her if she needs any little jobs done - like changing tap washers, lightbulbs; fetching in firewood, digging the weeds out of her garden; cleaning the bathroom - hey, I do have my uses sometimes !!!

Anyway here's a few tips for the cooks out there.........(not from me of course, but handed down)

Preparing An Avocado - To make it easier to peel a ripe avocado, place it in boiling water for 5 minutes first. As the outer flesh is also very slightly oxidized, the flesh will stay greener for longer rather than turning brown.

Homemade Fish Seasoning - You can enhance the the natural flavours of white fish using unusual homemade seasonings. For example, dry some mint; orange zest; lime zest; a small piece of vanilla pod and a stick of licorice on a very low temperature in a oven. Liquidise and then dust over your white fish. (monkfish, John Dory or cod)

Choosing Your Chilli - When deciding how fiery to make a chilli dish, work on the simple basis that the smaller the size of the chilli, the hotter it will be (I think I have mentioned this before, but.......!!!)

Spicing A Curry - The secret to getting the best flavour out of your curry is to know when to add your spices. Whole spices should be cooked in the hot oilat the begining to release & distribute the flavours evenly. Spices like mace and cinnamonshould be ground and added to your dish towards the end of cooking.

How To Roast & Skin Peppers - Brush peppers with olive oil and roast in an oven at 200 degrees C for 30 minutes or until they are collapsed and partially blackened. Place the peppers in a plastic bag, seal and stand for 10 minutes. Remove and the skin should peel off easily. De-seed and dress in oil and lemon juice.

Simple Salad Dressing - Take the juice and zest of 2 oranges, heat gently until the volume is reduced by two-thirds and place in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice. Whisk in 200 ml of vegetable oil, a pinch of salt and a little of water. Season.